- patients who are pre-symptomatic with two or three copies of the SMN2 gene;
- patients with a disease duration of less than six months, two copies of the SMN2 gene, and symptom onset the first week after birth and on or before seven months of age;
- patients under the age of 18, with symptom onset after six months of age and who have never achieved the ability to walk independently.
April 22, 2019
Dear members of the SMA community,
In response to the requests received by patients living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), Biogen Canada would like to provide this latest progress regarding coverage of SPINRAZA™ (nusinersen) in the province of Saskatchewan.
Biogen Canada is delighted to inform you that on April 12, 2019, the Government of Saskatchewan informed treating physicians in their province that patients living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) have access to SPINRAZA™. The Saskatchewan Ministry of Health has made the decision to expand coverage of SPINRAZA™ to include the following, in addition to existing Type I patients:
- Patients who are pre-symptomatic with two or three copies of the SMN2 gene;
- Patients up to age 18, with symptom onset after six months of age and who have never achieved the ability to walk independently;
- Patients that may have achieved the ability to walk independently (type III) as well as type II and type III patients over the age of 18 are encouraged to talk to their treating physician to apply for a case by case coverage.